If you have chosen to spend your Christmas in Venice, well, you are lucky.
We have been in Venice these days and the atmosphere is magic, except for the freezing temperatures!
San Marco and all the other main streets are full of lights, colours and happiness.
The inauguration of the Christmas tree in Piazzetta San Marco and of the Art Light Flags installation by Mario Arlati on the bell tower of San Marco took place on Friday, November 30th, at 6 pm.
A special remark for the Christmas tree in Piazza San Marco, which is great.
The tree of Piazza San Marco is a design structure in aluminum and spheres to remember the domes of the Basilica of San Marco, 12 meters high, on a gold mirror base. Other Christmas trees will be decorated in the islands (3 at the Lido, 4 at Pellestrina, 1 at Sant’Erasmo, 2 at Murano and 1 at Burano).
Moreover, there is a great choice of events:
- Ice skating rink in Venice, Campo San Polo, from 8 December to 5 March 2019;
- 5° Santa Claus run, 16 December 2018 at 9, from Campo San Giacometo;
- Advent in music 2018, Sunday 2, 9, 16 and 23 December 2018 at 16.00, Chiesa di San Trovaso;
- Christmas Market, Piazza Ferretto and via Poerio from 1st to 28 December 2018;
- New Year’s Concert at Teatro La Fenice, by Maestro Myung-Whun Chung from 28 December 2018 to 1st January 2019;
- New Year’s Eve fireworks 31 December at midnight – Bacino San Marco;
- Teatro Fenice and Goldoni are hosting many nice shows.
And if you still don’t know what to do, there is a great choice of museums: just to mention some, Palazzo Ducale and Basilica San Marco (you can visit it also by night).
Not to forget the Cenone (literally translated: big dinner) tradition. In fact, on New Year’s Eve the tradition is to have a huge dinner with people you love. The Cenone ends at midnight with Spumante (or Prosecco) and Panettone or Pandoro. Don’t forget to ask for lentils, which, according to the tradition, will brings you money the following year.
If you decide, astonished by the amazing atmosphere, to stay in Venice up to the 6th January, you will experience:
– Befana Regatta (kindly old witch who brings children toys at Epiphany) on Canal Grande the 6th January;
– The show of the nativity on the Clock tower in Piazza San Marco.
Hope this helps you to enjoy Venice in this magic period of the year.
Let us wish you a Merry Christmas!!